Summer’s fast approaching, don’t believe me? Walk outside! Grilling time’s here and there’s nothing unusual about grilling a steak, but… the following recipe is different and scrumptious!
Grilled Skirt Steak
- 4 8oz skirt steak
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 fennel bulb, top removed, halved, cored and sliced thinly
- 8 radishes, ends trimmed, sliced thinly
- 1/2 lb arugula
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin oil
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 cup CS’ Olive Non-Fish Tapanade *
- Put the skirt flat on a baking sheet and season evenly on both sides with chilli powder, salt and pepper. Set aside so the flavors can sink in a bit.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rapid boil over medium-high heat. Add the couscous and stir with a wooden spoon. Cook the couscous for 15 minutes or so until the pellets are al dente. Drain and cool.
- Preheat the outdoor grill. rub the grill with oil to prevent sticking. Grill the onion slices for 2 minutes, turning often, until charred on both sides. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Lay the steaks on the grill and cook, turn them with togs from time to time, to sear well on all sides. It takes approximately 8 minutes for medium rare, longer if you prefer it more done. Take off the steaks and put them on a cutting board, let them rest for 3 minutes, this will allow the juices to recirculate.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the couscous, grilled onion, fennel, radishes, arugula, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss to combine, add salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates. Arrange 4 slices of orange on top of each plate. Cut each steak into 3 pieces, then turn each piece sideways and cut thin slices against the grain, to ensure tenderness. Shingle the slices on top of the salad. Spoon some of the tapenade on top and serve immediately.
* CS’ Olive Non-Fish Tapenade
Yield: just over 1 cup
- 2 cups pitted Kalamata olives
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 pieces of tablespoon-sized grilled eggplant
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp brandy (optional)
- 1 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor. With the machine running gradually add the oil until the desired consistency is reached. The tapenade should be coarsely chopped. It will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to weeks.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!