It’s summer, it’s hot and humid and we need something to help us cool down. Nothing better than a smoothie, especially if it is also healthy, filled with vitamins and antioxidants. We scour the net and cookbooks of all kinds to bring you the most delicious recipes, like this one from Ellen Brown and Karen Konopelski‘s Super Smoothies – 100 Recipes to Supercharge Your Immune System, on pages 140 and 141:
Vitamin A Odyssey Apricot Peach Smoothie
The bright orange color of apricots and peaches should serve as your clue that the are both good sources of of beta-carotene, which helps protect your cells from free radicals and lycopene, which may lower cholesterol and help prevent heart disease. these two fruits have complementary flavors as well as colors, as you will see when enjoying the frosty smoothie.
- 1 cup chilled apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1/2 cup unsulfured dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups peach slices, frozen
- 1/2 cup vanilla frozen yogurt
- 4 peach wedges for garnish
- Combine apricot nectar, tofu, and dried apricots in a blender or smoothie maker. Blend on high speed for 45 seconds or until mixture is pureed and smooth.
- Add peach slices and frozen yogurt, and blend on high speed until mixture is smooth.
- Serve immediately, garnished with peach wedges, if desired.
Yield: Four 1-cup servings
Nutritional Analysys: Each 1-cup serving provides 180 calories; 1 g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 3 g protein; 43 g carbohydrate; 4 g dietary fiber; 2.5 mg cholesterol
Tip: Most commercial dried fruit has been sprayed with sulfur dioxide, a gas used for fumigation. the gas destroys much of the fruit’s natural B vitamins, so make sure the dried fruit you buy is marked unsulfured.
SUPERCHARGE NUTRIENTS % DAILY VALUE
- Vitamin A 3628 IU (73%)
- Vitamin B6 0.1 mg (5%)
- Vitamin C 25.7 mg (43%)
- Vitamin E 0.5 mg (3%)
- Magnesium 27.4 mg (7%)
- Manganese 0.2 mg (4%)
- Selenium 2.7 mcg (4%)
- Zinc 0.5 mg (3%)
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values
may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.
It tastes delicious, it is good for you and it’s truly refreshing. Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!