Today is the Fast of the 17th of Tammuz, the beginning of the Three Weeks period that culminates on the 9th of Av. Five tragic events in Jewish history occurred on this day:
- The first set of tablets on which the 10 Commandments were inscribed were broken by Moses when he descended from Mount Sinai.
- The regular daily sacrifice at The Temple in Jerusalem was abolished.
- The Romans made a breach in the walls of Jerusalem during the siege of the Second Temple.
- A Roman soldier, Apostomus, publicly burned a Torah scroll.
- An idol was placed in the Temple of God, and this caused its destruction and our 2000 year old exile.
Though the next three weeks are somber ones, while they invite reflection and self analysis, we must still eat. Why not have a delicious, easy to make, summer dessert as part of the post fast meal tonight?
Strawberry Yogurt Pots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ginger cookies
- 6 ounces strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 ounces Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- grated zest
- juice of 1 lemon
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan, transfer to food processor with ginger cookies and process to fine crumbs.
- Divide the mixture between 4 glasses and press into the base of each. Chill in refrigerator.
- In the meantime, put the strawberries and granulated sugar in a saucepan ans cook, stirring continuously, for 3 minutes, then allow it to cool.
- In a bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, cream, confectioner’s sugar, lemon zest and juice.
- Fill the glasses with the yogurt mixture and top each with the strawberries. Chill for 3 hours.
Have an easy fast, gentle reader!