Susie Fishbein, best selling kosher cookbook author, graciously consented to share two of her recipes – from her upcoming Kosher By Design – Teens and 20-Somethings – with our readers. I tried the first one last evening, after the fast, and loved it (and… I’m quite a few hours past my 20-somethings):
Maple Roasted Pears and Sweet Potatoes
DAIRY OR PARVE – YIELDS 6 SERVINGS
I adore these soft sweet pears and the way the sweet potatoes become sticky and sweet. You can try this with cubed butternut squash in addition to or in place of the sweet potatoes. While you have the maple syrup on hand, put the Pineapple Maple Glazed Salmon (page 134) on your menu for another night.
- 8 mini pears, such as Seckel, or 4 ripe Anjou pears, peeled, halved, cored, quartered
- 3 large sweet potatoes, (about 2 pounds) peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into
chunks the same size as the pears
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup pure maple syrup, NOT pancake syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- For easy cleanup, completely cover a jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- As you cut up the pears and sweet potato, place them into a large bowl. Set
- In a medium pot, melt the butter or margarine over medium heat. Whisk in maple
syrup and salt. Cook until it starts to bubble.
- Remove from heat. Pour over the pears and sweet potatoes. Toss to coat.
Transfer to prepared pan
- Bake, uncovered, for 11⁄2 hours.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or platter.
…and one more, can’t wait to try it!
Pineapple Maple Glazed Salmon
PARVE – YIELDS 6 SERVINGS
- 6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, without skin, pin bones removed
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup (NOT pancake syrup)
- 1⁄4 cup crushed pineapple, from a small can, squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Rinse the salmon and place it on a parchment-lined jelly roll pan. Pat dry with
- In a medium bowl, whisk the maple syrup, pineapple, soy sauce, mustard, olive
oil, and garlic.
- Pour over the salmon and bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter. Drizzle with pan juices. Serve hot or at room
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!!