From Country Italian, page 340; published by Publications International, Ltd., in 2001:
- 1 cup sweet or dry fruity white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- Place wine and water in small saucepan , add sugar. Cook over medium high heat until sugar has dissolved and syrup boils; stir frequently. Cover, boil 1 minute. Uncover, adjust heat to maintain simmer. Simmer 10 minutes without stirring. Remover from heat. Refrigerate 1 hour or until syrup is completely cool.
- Stir lemon juice into cooled syrup. Pour into 9-inch round cake pan. Freeze 1 hour.
- Quickly stir mixture with fork breaking up ice crystals. Freeze 1 hour more or until firm but not solid. Meanwhile, place medium bowl in freezer to chill.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer at high speed until peaks form. Remove lemon ice mixture from cake pan to chilled bowl. Immediately beat ice with whisk or fork until smooth. Fold in egg whites, mix well. Spread egg mixture evenly into same cake pan. Freeze 30 minutes. immediately stir with fork, cover cake panwith foil, Freeze at least 2 hours or until firm.
- To serve scoop Italian Ice into fluted champagne glasses or dessert dishes. Serve with berries. Garnish, if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!