Manischewitz just had a three day Pop Up at Manhattan’s Chelsea Market. It opened to the public this past Thursday and continued through Friday and yesterday (Sunday). Though I wanted very much to see and taste Jamie Geller‘s demos, work did not allow it, but I managed to make it there yesterday.
I arrived just in time for Chef Katsuji Watanabe‘s cooking demo. Chef Watanabe not only is superb at what he does, but also has a winning personality!
With humor, and lots of patience, the Chef proved himself quite a showman
Sake, Mirin Soy Braised Winter Root Vegetables & Shizito Peppers Over Fine Egg Noodles
- 1 cup Manischewitz® Vegetable Broth
- 1 pkg. Manischewitz® Fine Egg Noodles
- 1 cup Cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup Cubed blue potatoes
- 1 cup Cubed heirloom carrots
- 1 cup cubed red onions
- 1 cup Cubed red onions 1/2 cup Chopped Shizito peppers
- 1 cup Chopped shitake mushroom
- 1/4 cup Chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Mirin
- 1 cup Sake
- In heavy pot add all vegetables. Add the garlic and sauté for three minutes. Add the soy sauce, Mirin, sake, and Manischewitz® Vegetable Broth and cook to reduce.
- Cook Manischewitz® Fine Egg Noodles according to package instructions.
- Serve over steamed noodles and garnish with shizito peppers.
The pop up was divided into several serving stations, my favorites were Manni’s Pizzeria where just like Elizabeth Bland (The Cheese Mistress) I thought – as did Meyer Harroch, as well – that the matzoh pizza was surprisingly good.
Also the soup with crackers was nice, hot and delicious, the potato latkes were extremely tasty (in spite of being made from a mix in a box!).
All in all, I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours enjoying the serving stations, the demos and meeting old friends.