One of our readers, Fortuna F, from Los Angeles, sent in this recipe and photo for what promises to be a superb and easy to prepare soup:
Adas Bis Silq
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 6 cups cold water
- 10 leaves Swiss chard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- lemon wedges for serving
- Wash lentils well and place in a heavy pan with the cold water. Bring to a boil, skimming as needed, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or until lentils are soft.
- Was Swiss chard well and cut off stems. Cut leaves down the middle, then shred coarsely.
- Heat oil in a separate pa, add onion and fry slowly until it becomes transparent. Stir in garlic and cook for another 15 seconds.
- Add shredded Swiss chard to pan and fry, stirring often, until leaves wilt.
- Pour onion and Swiss chard mixture into the lentils. Add coriander, salt pepper to taste, then add the lemon juice. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve soup in deep plates with lemon wedgrs for squeezing into soup according to the individual’s taste. It goes perfectly with any Middle Eastern bread.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!