Last evening Pomegranate featured cookbook author Susie Fishbein, who demonstrated some delicious Passover recipes. The demo was well attended by an enrapt audience, who got to enjoy some succulent dishes, following the cooking demonstration.
She demoed three dishes: Chimichurri Steak Salad, Tershi in Pessach Couscous and Pulled Barbecue Beef Tacos.
Chimichurri Steak Salad
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs shoulder London Broil
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 (1/2 inch) slice red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 oz mache and other salad greens
- 1/2 small kohlrabi, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 small fennel, shaved into paper thin slices
- 1 Persian cucumber, w/skin , cut into thin slices
- 2 Shishito peppers, cut into thin slices on the diagonal
- 4 – 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 slice Pomegranate Pickled Lemon, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate Chimichurri Dip
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil or Zeta brand Basil And Garlic flavored olive oil
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- 1 tbsp water
- Pat the meat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor(or mini chop) fitted the metal “s” blade, pulse the garlic and red onion . Add the parsley, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Pulse again. Rub this paste all over one side of the steak. Allow to marinate while you prepare the salad.
- Place the salad greens onto a platter. Top with the kohlrabi, fennel, cucumber, peppers, and tomatoes. Toss. Sprinkle on the chopped lemon.
- Heat the oil in a grill pan. Add the steak, Sear for 6-7 minutes. Using tongs, turnover and sear on the other side for 7 minutes. Remove to cutting board. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, thinly slice on the diagonal. Arrange over the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk the chimichurri dip, olive oil, and water. Drizzle over the salad. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!