[Reader Ester Azouline, from LA, sent us the recipe and photo below. She adapted this recipe from The One Dish Bible. I made it last night and found it deliciously filling. CS]
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb lamb, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium unpeeled red potatoes, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots
- Pita bread
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add lamb and onion; cook intil lamb is browned on all sides, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture. Stir until flour has absorbed the juices. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, water, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to quart casserole, bake 30 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, sweet potato, lima beans, green beans and carrots. Cover; bake 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Serve with warm pita bread.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!