We are proud to announce 1 runner up and the 2 winners of our 3rd Annual Shavous Contest. We received 17 recipes (some with accompanying photos, some without), some recipes were mediocre, most were very g0od; they ranged from easy to intricate. We finally selected this three:
1st Runner Up
Grilled Mozzarella and Tomato Sandwich
- 8 slices country style bread, cut 1/4″ thick each
- 1/2 lb whole milk mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 slices
- Sea Salt to taste
- 16 sun dried tomatoes
- 16 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- On each of 4 bread slices, place 3 slices of mozzarella. Season with salt, top with 4 sun-dried tomatoes, 4 basil leaves, cover with another slice of bread.
- Heat 2 large nonstick pans over moderately high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of butter to each pan and swirl to melt the butter and coat the pan. Put 2 sandwiches in each pan and place a heavy skillet on top of each as a weight. If the to is not heavy enough you can weigh down with canned goods or anything that will add weight. cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the bottoms are well browned and remove.
- Add another 1/2 teaspoon butter to each pan, put sandwiches back on with the browned side up. Weigh them down again and cook until the second side is well browned (2 to 3 minutes).
- Cut sandwiches diagonally and serve while hot.
Contributed by Leah Rubenfeld
(2) 1st Prize Winners
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup espresso or strong coffee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. rum (preferably dark)
- 8 oz. Mascarpone
- 16 ladyfingers
- Cocoa powder, for dusting (I used Dutch process cocoa powder, because it’s not as bitter as regular cocoa powder)
- Combine 3 egg yolks, 1 Tbsp. espresso, sugar and rum in large mixing bowl. Beat 2-3 minutes, until pale. Add Mascarpone and beat 3-5 minutes until smooth.
- In another bowl, combine 3 egg whites and a pinch of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into Mascarpone mixture.
- Spread half of the mixture on the bottom of your serving dish.
- Dip one side of each ladyfinger into remaining espresso and layer on top of the first layer of mascarpone mix.
- Spread the remaining mascarpone mixture on top, and sprinkle with cocoa.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
Contributed by Nossi Fogel,
from his website: http://thekoshergastronome.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/moms-tiramisu/
on the site you can also see step by step photos.
Chocolate Drizzled Cheesecake IceCream Pie
- 1 package chocolate Tea Biscuits
- 6 Tbs. sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 8 oz. 5% Soft White Cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. corn starch (dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water)
- 1 10 oz whip
- 1 bar Dairy Chocolate
- Blend Tea Biscuits with sugar and butter. Press into a 9″ round pan.
- Beat the whip. Combine all other ingredients, besides for the chocolate, and fold into whip. Pour into pie crust.
- Melt the chocolate bar and drizzle on top of filling and use a fork to marbleize.
- Freeze for at least 2 hrs and garnish with chocolate curls.
Congratulations to the 2 winners and the runner up!!!
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!