I always liked Pumpernickel, I remember many an occasion coming home from cheder to the delicious aroma of my mother’s just baked Schwartzn Broit; therefore, considering that Passover is over and once again we can eat bread, I present a recipe I adopted from Bread: Bread, Rolls, Coffee Cakes, Quick Breads, Biscuits, Muffins, Scones and More:
Classic Deli Pumpernickel Bread
Makes 2 loaves
- 1 cup cold strong coffee *
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 2 cups medium rye flour
- melted margarine (optional)
- Combine coffee, molasses, 2 tablespoons margarine and salt in medium saucepan; heat over medium heat to 115 to 120 F.
- Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl of mixer, let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in coffee mixture. Add 2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa and caraway seeds, beat at low speed – with paddle attachment – for 2 minutes. Add rye flour, 1/2 cup at a time; beat until dough begins to form a ball.
- Replace paddle attachment with dough hook. Add enough remaining bread flour, 1 tbsp at a time, if necessary to prevent sticking. knead at low speed 5 to 7 minutes o until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in greased bowl; turn to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; sprinkle with cornmeal. Punch down down dough. Divide dough in half; shape each half into a round, slighly flattened loaf. Place on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in warm place for 1 hour or until almost double in size. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove to wire racks to coll completely. Brush tops of loaves with melted butter, if desired.
* Use fresh brewed coffee or instant coffee granules prepared according to package directions.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!