Gloria Kobrin, author of Kosher Cookbook, an iphone/ipod app with over 300 step-by-step recipes, a shopping list generator and 52-week meal plans. She’s also a food blooger and is about launch a website (kosherbygloria.com) with more recipes, cooking tips and more. This past week I had the pleasure of taping her as she prepared easy yet delicious dishes for Thanksgiving. Here we present the first one of three:
Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep time: Boiling potatoes- 20-30 min. Mixing- 15 min. Baking- 45 min.
Equipment: Large pot, 6 quart oven to table casserole
- 6 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup (tightly packed) + 6
- tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup non-dairy margarine- melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract*
- 3 cans mandarin oranges – drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Boil potatoes until very soft. Drain, cool slightly and peel. Place potatoes in large mixing bowl. Add 6 tablespoons margarine, 12 tablespoons brown sugar, and vanilla to potatoes. Whip ingredients together well by hand or in electric mixer. Fold in oranges. Spoon mixture into casserole and smooth over the top.
- Preheat oven to: 375 F.
- Mix together remaining margarine and brown sugar. Scatter chopped pecans over the top of casserole. Dribble sugar and margarine mixture over nuts. Bake 45 minutes or until piping hot.
* Cognac can be used in place of vanilla.
Note: Marshmallows can be used instead of nuts and brown sugar. Decorate the top of casserole with them during the last 15 minutes of baking.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!