It’s that cold time of the year, and what better way to warm up than with some hot and hearty soup?
Lemon Veal Soup with Mushrooms
- 12 oz boneless veal, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 pared strip lemon rind
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 12 oz small button mushrooms, quartered
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unflavored MimiCreme
- freshly grated nutmeg
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 – 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley salt and pepper
- Put the veal in a large saucepan and add the stock. Bring just to a boil. and skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic, lemon rind and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veal is tender.
- Remove the veal and carrots with a slotted spoon and reserve, covered. Strain the stock, into a clean saucepan. Discard the onion, garlic, lemon rind, and bay leaf.
- Melt the margarine in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, season, and cook gently until golden. Reserve with the veal and carrots.
- Mix together the cornstarch and MimiCreme. Bring the cooking liquid just to a boil and whisk in the cream mixture. Boil very gently for 2 – 3 minutes, (until it thickens, whisking almost constantly.
- Add the reserved meat and vegetables to the soup and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes, until heated through. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding nutmeg and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir in the parsley, then ladle into warmed bowls and serve.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!