In this era when not only do we crave flavor, but value the health benefits of the various ingredients that make up that wonderful dish; in this wintertime when we look for foods that will warm us there is nothing better than a good hot soup.
We’ve adapted the following recipe from various sources to come up with our own kosher, nutritious, delicious version:
Caldo Verde is a traditional Portuguese soup, made mainly from kale and potatoes.
- 4 medium russet potatoes or other floury baking potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks.
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound kale, leaves trimmed from the thick stems, rinsed and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan with 8 cups water and add a little salt. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Mash the potatoes lightly with a fork, leaving them in the water.
- Cook the kale in a pan of boiling water for 3 – 4 minutes. Drain and stir into the potato broth with the olive oil. Simmer for 1 – 2 minutes. Season to taste and serve hot.
- 2 Jack’s Gourmet Mexican Style Chorizos, sliced
- Heat up a small amount of olive oil over medium heat. Add chorizo slices and brown. Once browned remove and set aside.
- Follow step 1 in the vegetarian version above.
- Add the Jack’s Gourmet chorizo slices and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the kale and let cook until desired level of doneness.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!