CS is making a Roast Turkey with Maple-Mustard Glaze from Susie Fishbein‘s – just published – Kosher by Design – Cooking Coach (page 152). Since we will be eating at his place I can take it easy for a change, nevertheless I thought I’d share a favorite, easy recipe, I’ve made many a time over the years:
Total cooking time 3 hours and 40 minutes
- 1 small onion, halved
- 13 pounds oven ready turkey, giblets removed and cavity wiped clean
- 2 1/2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion in the turkey’s body cavity with salt and pepper. Tie the turkey legs with string at the top of the drumsticks.
- Place bird in a large roasting pound, rub all over with the softened margarine and season the outside of the turkey with your choice of spices and seasoning. Add the vegetable oil to the pan
- Cover the prepared bird loosely with foil and roast in a preheated 375 F. oven, basting periodically. Remove the foil for at least 40 minutes to allow the turkey to brown and scatter the chopped thyme over it. Check the turkey is cooked by inserting a skewer or fork into one of the legs. If the juices come out clear, the bird is ready.
- Transfer the turkey to a a large dish, cover with clean foil and let it rest for about 20 minutes before carving.
- Arrange the turkey on a warmed serving platter and serve with your choice of vegetables.
My guests always loved this dish, I know you will as well!