One of favorite dairy dishes, just perfect for the 9 Days!
Italian Vegetable Stew
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small acorn squash peeled and seeded
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1 small celery root, sliced
- 2 turnips, sliced
- 1 small celery root, diced
- 2 turnips sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 6 oz Swiss chard
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- pinch each of dried thyme, dried oregano, and sugar
- 1 cup from fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable stock *
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- Finely chop the garlic and dice the squash. Put them in a large, heavy-bottom pan with all the other vegetable, the bay leaves, fennel seeds, chilli powder, thyme, oregano, sugar, and half the basil. Pour in the oil and vegetable stock.
- Reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle in the remaining basil and the parsley , season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately sprinkled with cheese.
* Vegetable Stock (follow the link)
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!