Some dishes not only taste great, not only smell great, they are also easy to prepare. What could be better than combine all three for a summer meal when you want to stay away from the kitchen heat as much as possible?
I found the following recipe in The Big Book of One Pot:
Spicy Aromatic Chicken
- 4-8 chicken pieces skinned
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsley chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 14 ounces canned chopped tomatoes in juice
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 14 ounces canned artichoke hearts, drained
- 8 black olives, pitted
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rub the chicken pieces with the lemon. Heat the oil in a large, flameproof casserole or lidded skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the chicken pieces and cook for 5-10 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Pour in the wine and add the tomatoes with their juice, along with the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover the the casserole and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile,cut the artichoke hearts in half. Add the artichokes and the olives to the casserole about 10 minutes before the end of cooking, and continue to simmer until heated through. Serve hot.
Your kitchen will be filled with an inviting aroma, your palate will enjoy it. What more could you ask?
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!