Summer is a time when most us prefer lighter, refreshing foods. While salad are great and delicious any time of the year, they acquire added significance during summers. Frankly, most of us prefer to stay away from long cooking and the heat it generates.
We’ve done a few salad recipes on this pages, but now we bring you an easy and delicious old favorite:
Yields: 2 servings
- 1 large handful of haricots verts (thin French green beans)
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, torn
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 preserved artichokes hearts, drained and quatered
- 6 salted anchovies, rinsed
- 12 black olives,
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 small cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the beans briefly in salted water until tender crisp.
- Meanwhile, put torn lettuce in a shallow bowl and arrange eggs, vegetables, anchovies, and olives on top.Sprinkle with parsley.
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard and garlic, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Season toast, pour over the salad, and serve with crusty bread.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!