The author of Passover The Healthy Way is a Registered Dietitian, Certified Diabetes Educator and Certified Dietitian-Nutritionist. She provides Medical Nutrition Therapy for weight management, diabetes and other medical conditions to both adults and children. With such experience one would expect Bonnie R. Giller‘s cookbook to be filled with succulent and nutritious dishes. You know something? If that’s what you expect you will certainly love this cookbook!
It has gebrochs and non-gebrochs recipes (though the gebrochs outnumber the non-gebrochs). The featured dishes are divided into eight categories:
- Soups and Other Meats
- Side Dishes
- Dairy Dishes
- Desserts & Baked Goods
It includes 5 Appendixes:
- Measurement Equivalents
- Tips for Sodium Reuction
- Cooking and Baking
- Food Labeling Terms
Mrs. Giller has graciously allowed us to share one of her poultry recipes:
Matzo Stuffed Chicken Cutlets
(Gebrochs) – Serves 10
10 (5 oz.) boneless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
5 whole matzo boards finely broken
1/2 cup medium dry Concord wine
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 egg white
1/2 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. pepper
1/3 cup low fat mayonnaise
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp honey
- Suate onion in olive oil until tender, but not browned.
- Add broken matzohs and toast lightly.
- Cmbine wine, egg white, seasonings, and chicken broth to matzoh mixture.
- Mix well until matzoh is soft and mixture is heated through.
- 5. Take 1/4 cup of stuffing, place in the middle of each chicken cutlet and roll. Secure with toothpick, if needed.
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup and honey in a bowl. Mix well. Spread on top of chicken cutlet rolls.
- Bake at 350 F. for 30 to 40 minutes.
Serving size: 1 (4 0z.) stuffed chicken cutlet
Exchanges per Serving: 4 Meat, 1 Starch, 1/2 Fat
Calories: 266 Cholesterol: 83 mg
Total Fat: 4.5 gm Protein: 36 gm
Saturated Fat: 1 gm Carbohydrate: 17 mg
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 gm Dietary Fiber: 2 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 0.5 gm Sodium: 198 mg
You may order this book at: www.passoverthehealthyway.com.Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!