Herbal teas (tisanes) are infusions usually made from dried flowers, herbs and/or dried fruits with boiling water. Written records going back to the earliest days of Ancient Egypt and Ancient China already described the enjoyment and uses of herbal teas. Available as pure or blended samples, herbal teas are popular because of their fragrance, antioxidant properties and therapeutic applications.
A Spanish pharmaceutical company Pharmadus has come out with OU kosher certified medicinal herbal teas. They have a nice selection of teas under the HELPS brand and we recently tested their HELPS Wellness line.
Between CS and I we’ve tried seven of these teas:
- Organic Easy Digestion – An aid in promoting a healthy digestive system, reduces flatulence in addition to its calming and relaxing effects. Organic Anise (Fruit), Organic Chamomile (Flower) and Organic Mint (Leaf), combine for a delicious, refreshing flavor.
- For Low Sugar Diets – With Bilberry (Leaf), Elder (Flower), Juniper (Connaberry), Orange (Peel) and Sweetleaf (Leaf). It is a free natural herbal supplemental as part of a low sugar diet. According to the manufacturer’s specs it may help healthy individuals regulate blood sugar levels. It tasted nice, both when I tried it hot and afterwards as ice tea.
- Organic R & R – When you feel tense, this is the perfect release. It consists of a combination of Organic Lemon Balm (Leaf) and Organic Passion Flower (Aereal part). CS tells me it’s helped him relax and sleep, I will try it as well.
- Breathe – From Eucalyptus (Leaf), Organic Thyme (herb), Organic Mint (Leaf) and Organic Linden (Flower). It promotes sinus and respiratory health, both CS and I have used and we both like it.
- Just For Her – A combination of Organic Sage (Leaf), Organic Lemon Balm (Leaf), and Alfalfa (Aereal part). I tried it and, just as promised, I felt refreshed, relaxed, and mellow.
- Make it Easy – Combining Senna (Fruit/Leaf), Anise (Fruit), Lemon Balm (Leaf) and Licorice Root it promotes regular body functions relieving occasional constipation.
- Organic Green Tea Leaves – Made by combining Organic Green Tea (Leaf) and Organic Spearmint (Leaf). This combination, with its antioxidant properties fights and neutralizes free radicals. Some say that it helps keep the skin looking young. The Chinese have, for thousands of years, used it to combat toxins and promote healthy and youthful vigor. Nice and flavorful!
Aside from their medicinal properties, I found all of these teas to be delicious and enjoyable.