We got quite a few interesting recipes and even some nice photos. On Monday past, we posted the winning recipe for our Shavous contest, now we are posting the next best ones.
2nd Runner Up
The following recipe shows that you can make something delicious even if it is easy to prepare…
(My daughter in Providence, RI, made this. It was easy to prepare and it was truly delicious! CS)
We usually “Healthify” it by substituting for ingredient in parenthesis. Tastes AMAZING either way.
- 2 Eggs (or Egg Substitutes)
- ½ Cup Sugar (or Splenda)
- 1 lb Cream Cheese
- 1 lb Cottage Cheese or Farmers Cheese
- ½ cup Sugar (or Splenda)
- 2 eggs (or Egg Substitutes)
- 1 cup Flour (or Whole Wheat Flour)
- ½ lb melted margarine or butter
- Pinch Salt
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Mix Filling – Set aside
- Mix Batter
- Pour ½ Batter into greased 9” X 13” pan (preferably glass)
- Spread Filling over batter
- Pour remaining Batter over Filling
- Bake 1 hour at 325
Submitted by Evan Rosenhouse LMSW, TX
1st Runner Up
Macaroni, Tuna and Cheese Casserole
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 7 oz can of tuna
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 teaspoons butter (and more for greasing)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flower
- 1 cups of milk
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Boil a large pan of slightly salted water. Add macaroni and return to boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes until macaroni is al dente. Drain, rinse, then drain thoroughly again.
- Heat olive in a skillet and cook the garlic, mushrooms and bell pepper until soft. Add the tuna and oregano, season with salt and pepper and heat through.
- Grease an 8 cup oven proof dish with a little butter. Add half the of the cooked macaroni, cover with tuna mixture, then add remaining macaroni.
- Melt butter in a pan, add the flour. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni. Add the sliced tomatoes on top of the sauce, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cheese. Cook in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy… even if it is no longer Shavuos.