Chef Mark Green of Glatt A La Carte, always wanted to be a hockey player and even got a scholarship to play at Saranac in Upstate new York. Unfortunately he got hurt while playing, with his sports dream over he majored in art and photography.
After graduating from the New York Restaurant School, in 1982, Chef Mark spent the next 7 years as sous-chef at Club Med in Aruba. He did stints as Main Chef for the Divi Divi Beach Hotels in the Netherlands and the Antilles but came back to the US, eventually opening Glatt A La Carte, as Executive Chef, over 10 years ago.
He has graciously given us his recipe for a delicious, easy to make cake:
Portuguese Olive Oil Orange Pound Cake
Yields: 10 to 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 5 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- zest of 3 oranges
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 2 teaspoons of orange juice
- Beat eggs lightly in large mixing bowl.
- Slowly add sugar to the eggs until light colored and thicken into a ribbon consistency.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add orange juice to egg mixture.
- Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add olive oil and flower alternating little by little into egg mixture until fully incorporated.
- Mix until it becomes a nice batter with ribbon consistency.
- Mix zest into batter.
- Take a Bund pan and spray it with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into Bund pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 1:15 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool for 30-60 minutes.
- Combine glaze thoroughly and drop on cake.
I’ve tried Chef Mark’s recipe, both at the restaurant and at home, it’s very good. Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!