Chicken Pot Pie… Chicken Pot Pie… one of my all time favorite foods. It may not look fancy, needs no exotic ingredients, but when it comes to winter comfort food few other compare!
For the pie’s filling we must first make Creamed Chicken, this can be made from any chicken leftovers:
Creamed Chicken Recipe
Total: 20 mins
Active: 20 mins
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup unflavored soy milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken, medium dice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Melt margarine over medium-low heat in a large saucepan or frying pan until foaming. Sprinkle in flour while constantly whisking, and cook until raw flavor is gone, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly add broth, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Add soy milk and again whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add chicken and vinegar, and stir to coat. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Chicken Pot Pie
Total: 1 hr 10 mins
Active: 35 mins
Makes: 12 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine (1/4 stick), plus more for coating the dish
- 2 cups pearl onions, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 cuppotato, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cupcelery (leaves too), coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cupcarrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- Creamed Chicken (recipe above)
- 1 large egg
- 14 ounces store-bought puff pastry dough, defrosted if frozen
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with margarine and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons margarine over medium heat in a large frying pan until foaming. Add onions and sage and cook until sage aroma is released, about 2 minutes.
- Add potato, celery, and carrots and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until carrots and onions are just beginning to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat, stir in peas, parsley, and creamed chicken, and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn filling into the prepared baking dish. Whisk egg together with 1 tablespoon water and a pinch of salt until evenly mixed. Set aside.
- With kitchen shears, cut dough to fit over the baking dish. Place dough over filling and tuck into the edges of the dish.
- Brush dough with reserved egg wash and cut 10 evenly distributed slits in the top to vent. Cook until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbling, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
I made this dish last night. to say it was just delicious would be a serious understatement. Coming home from the cold, this one truly hit the spot! Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!