Exotic, delicious, Indian dish with just enough spice to keep it interesting:
Kashmiri Lamb – Rogan Josh
- 5 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 0nion roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 lb lamb, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 10 cardamon pods, slightly crushed
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Put the garlic, onion, ginger root, ground spices, salt, tomato paste into a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the lamb and cardamon pods. Fry over high heat to brown the meat on all sides.
- Add the blended paste and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Pour in the water and simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Serve over rice with some warmed naan bread.
Indian Style Rice
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 8 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- One 2-inch piece of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp dark mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp chile flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Place rice in a sieve and run cool water through it to rinse it until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in cool water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Bring 8 cups of water and the salt to a boil in a large pot. Add the rice and stir. Add the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste the rice, and test if it is done to your taste; rice can take more or less time to cook depending on how old it is. If still too firm, cook a few minutes longer
- When the rice is cooked to your liking, drain the rice into a colander and rinse with cold water to stop if from cooking. Remove the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon and discard. Set the rice aside to drain.
- In a pan large enough to hold the rice, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the mustard and cumin seeds and the chile flakes. Cook until the mustard seeds start popping, then add the onion. Sauté until the onion begins to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and mix well. Sprinkle the turmeric over the rice and mix well. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!