We constantly scour the web, magazines, cookbooks – old and new -for delicious recipes we want to try out and share with you. We found the following recipe (by Pam Anderson) for a perfect drink on a gorgeous Memorial Day (or any summer day!) like today, in Better Homes and Gardens Annual Recipes 2008:
Prep 25 minutes, Chill 2 hr.
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped lime peel
- 1 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 750 ml. bottle of Pinot Noir or Syrah, chilled
- 1 nectarine, pitted and sliced
- In a 1-quart glass measuring cup combine lime peel, lime juice, and sugar; add water to equal 4 cups. Stir to dissolve sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- To serve, place ice in six 16 ounce glasses. Add 2/3 cups of lime juice mixture to each glass, slowly add 1/2 cup of wine. Thread nectarine slices on skewers and add to glasses.
Look for firm, fragrant grapefruit, golden yellow with blushes of red, that gives to light pressure, avoid hard or green nectarines. Let slightly unripe fruit ripen at room temperature for a couple of days. Refrigerate ripe fruit for up to 5 days.