[Bourbon Chicken is a flavorful chicken dish named for the bourbon whiskey ingredient. The dish is commonly found at Cajun, Chinese, and American BBQ themed restaurants. The various recipes includes soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and bourbon in the base, and the chicken is marinated in this sauce.]
Yesterday we cooked with red wine, today we’ll use bourbon. This is a superb chicken recipe from Food.com!
- olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, chopped into chunks
- 1 red pepper, sliced thinly (about 200g)
- 1 carrot, cut into sticks
- 0.55 lbs. broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add to your personal taste.)
- 1/3 cup apple juice (just over a 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup bourbon (when I use bourbon for cooking, just as when I use wine, I prefer a quality bourbon, something I would normally like to drink, like Blanton’s or Maker’s Mark)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Heat a little oil in a pan, cook chicken in batches, until browned all over, set chicken to one side.
- Heat a little more oil in the same pan, add pepper, garlic and ginger, cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Add red pepper flakes, juice, bourbon, water, soy, sugar, ketchup and vinegar, stir to combine, bring to the boil.
- Return chicken to pan with carrot and broccoli, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 Min’s.
- Mix a little water with the cornflour, add to sauce and stir until mixture thickens.
- Serve over rive and sprinkle with green onions.
Yields 4 servings; Prep time – 10 minutes; Total time – 35 minutes