[Shmuel L, from Miami, sent us a favorite grilling recipe just over 10 days ago. Now, he sent us another one, accompanied by a photo as well]
Grilled Banana Satay
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 4 fat, peeled, barely ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Light a grill for direct medium heat, about 400 F.
- Slice the banans crosswise into medallions 1 to 2 inches thick. Skewer the banana pieces through the edges so that the flat sides can be grilled, threading 6 to 8 pieces per skewer.
- Whisk together the peanut butter, coconut milk, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Pour half of the peanut butter sauce into a wide shallow pan.
- Brush the grill grate with oil. Grill the banana skewers directly over the heat until nicely grill-marked. 2 to 3 minutes per side. Dip the flat sides of the bananas in the peanut sauce. Sprinkle with the coconut to coat. Return to the grill and cook until lightly brown. 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Serve with the remaining sauce for dipping.
TIP - Just like meats, fruits can be marinated to create myriad variations in flavor, the can be rubbed, eaten with sauces, glazed and more BUT make sure the bananas are just barely ripe or they’ll become mushy when grilled.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!