Every once in a while, I enjoy preparing a dish in my wok; here’s a favorite which I adapted from Ken Hom‘s Quick Wok:
Stir-Fried Lamb with Garlic and Basil
- 1 pound lean lamb steaks
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Handful fresh coriander sprigs
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Cut the lamb into thin slices. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade. Add the lamb, mix well and marinade for 20 minutes at room temperature. Drain and discard the marinade.
- Heat a wok over high heat until it is very hot. Add the oil. when the oil becomes hot and starts tsmoking slighly add the the lamb and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper. Continue to stir-fry for another 3 minutes.
- Finally toss in the basil and coriander, and continue to stir-fry for 1 more minute or until the herbs have wilted.
- Turn onto a warm serving platter and serve at once.
The garlic and basil, the two aromatic ingredients, make this an unusual but delicious dish.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!