This classic Neapolitan dish is truly a celebration of summer. Easy to prepare and made from simple ingredients it is, however, only as good as the quality of its components.
The tomatoes must be sweet and juicy; the basil should be fresh and very aromatic, the pepper freshly ground.
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
In a bowl alternate the layers of tomato, mozzarella, and basil leaves. Sprinkle with the capers, season with sea salt and pepper.
Coincidentally, the salad sports the red, green and white colors of the Italian flag. Simple, refreshing and delicious, this salad is a feast to the eyes, the nose and the palate; it is a true paean to the joy of any occasion!
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy!