I am a confirmed hardcore carnivore, but every once in a while I have to make some nice pasta dishes for a milchig dinner. Especially now that Shavuos is almost upon us… Here are two of my favorites:
Fettuccine Alfredo with Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb fettucine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 3/4 cup chopped shitake mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mozarella
- Mix the butter and 2/3 cup of the heavy cream, bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes or until the cream has thickened slightly.
- Boil a large pan of lightly salted water, over medium heat.
- Add the pasta, bring back to a boil and cook for 9 minutes or until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain pasta thoroughly, return to pan, pour in the sauce (from step 1)
- Toss the pasta in the sauce, over a low fire, until thoroughly coated. Add the remaining 1/3 cup of heavy cream, the shredded Mozarella, nutmeg, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste. Toss the pasta thoroughly in the whole mixture while on a low flame.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté the mushrooms and garlic in a little bit of oil, until garlic pieces are golden brown.
- Put the pasta mixture on a large warmed serving plate. Add the sautéed mushrooms and garlic. Serve and sprinkle generously with the grated Parmesan cheese.
- 12 cannelloni
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- Basil, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb 12 ozs canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon 10x confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 Mozzarella slices
- In a large pan boil some lightly salted water. Add the cannelloni, return to a boil and cook for another 9 minutes or until tender but still firm to the bite. Put pasta in a plate and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the eggplant into small dice. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. add the eggplant, stir frequently while cooking for about three minutes.
- Add spinach, garlic, cumin and mushrooms. Reduce the heat. Season with pepper and salt to taste. Cooking for 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly. Spoon the mixture into the cannelloni. Arrange cannelloni in a casserole in a single layer.
- To make the sauce, heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sugar and basil. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over cannelloni.
- Arrange the Mozzarella slices over the sauce and bake in 375 F. preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbling. serve hot garnished with a prig of basil.
Enjoy, gentle reader, enjoy AND don’t forget to send us your favorite Shavuos recipes (there is a nice selection of cholov Yisroel cheeses as the prize for the best!) to:
For prize winning cheese cake recipes: and the winner is…